Friday, September 11, 2009

Cutting Out Some of the Stress

Several months ago, a fellow English Assistant pointed me in the direction of this very useful site. You can use this to get public transportation (bus, metro, RER, and/or tramway) directions within Paris.

We had planned to use public transportation when we first arrive, to get to our residence hall from the airport. I used that website to see what that would involve: a 47 minute ride on the RER (Réseau Express Régional, Regional Express Network) and then taking a tram and some walking. I have absolutely no opposition to public transportation. In fact, I'm thrilled that I'll be taking the metro and buses and walking a lot more (so sick of driving!). But due to previous horrific experiences of taking trains and buses whilst lugging around a couple suitcases, I decided we could "splurge" on a shuttle.

Thanks to the Michelin Green Guide that French Professor S gave me a few days ago, I found ParisShuttle. I made a reservation today. It was 36€. Not getting off on a great start of saving money, but I think I've saved us a lot of stress. We'll have plenty of time to experience public transportation.

On a side note- I'm not sure if this blog is functionning correctly (maybe something to do with the administrator) and I'm not sure comments are working. So if anyone is out there reading this, please try to comment. If it doesn't work, drop me a line at katherine.ayers@gmail.com. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Just a trial comment... Though, I must say, I think I'm going to similarly splurge since I'll have two bags and my carry-on. I figure saving myself some stress at the beginning is worth a few more Euros than I'd usually spend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kinzie! I think a few friends are having personal google account problems then. I think it is worth spending some more on the first few days of travel since those are the craziest and most stressful in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, here we go again attempting to comment! Your blog looks really great by the way. I'm so impressed by your layout and set up! I don't know if my blog is worthy of inspiration or entertainment though...
    Good luck these last few days! I'm praying for a smooth transition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woot! I think I figured it out! Definitely a personal technical problem. I don't have to tell you how wonderful these ARC computers are!

    ReplyDelete