Tuesday, November 10, 2009

And now I sleep in.

Today was the last day of my French Oral Expression class at the Sorbonne. It was for five weeks, 8-10am, four days a week. So, in 40 hours of French Oral Expression, what did I learn? Well, not as much as I'd hoped, and I'm not so sure I've progressed much in speaking French.

I was really disappointed that we didn't have much lab time. A few times we went to the lab, had a more or less natural conversation with a partner, and then the professor corrected us. I wish every class had been like that! Another thing I really appreciated was learning more about the different language registers. Not only do you have to distinguish between tu and vous, but you use different language and expressions depending on who you're talking to and the setting. I think I will try to learn more about this on my own.

Now that the class is over, what do I plan to do? Sleep in (a little more) in the mornings! But to work on my French, I am going to continue going to the conversation exchange group on Tuesdays, and I'm going to try to find a language exchange partner. Some one-on-one French time would be very helpful. I also will, eventually, start reading French Colloquial Grammar by Rodney Ball. En plus, I am looking into volunteering, something I miss doing.

It's time for dinner and then that conversation group! Send French thoughts my way!

1 comment:

  1. I really liked French Colloquial Grammar. it explained so much that regular books never teach. it's written for linguists though so it can be a bit dry and boring. It would be better if he had included the audio with it (it's written based on a spoken corpus) since just knowing the informal grammar isn't really going to help a whole lot with oral comprehension.

    ReplyDelete