Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Schools closed

Due to a huge strike, my schools were closed today. Of course I was happy to have the day off. After my International Relations class (in English, grumble, grumble) today, I spent the afternoon in the Marais. After having a delicious falafel, I sat and read for a good hour. Then, I checked out the 150 years of immigration exposition, which circles Hôtel de Ville, and then headed to the Caféothèque where I continued to read.

It was nice being able to take my time and I couldn't have asked for nicer weather. Yet, I've already missed a handful of classes lately, due to being sick, participating in recording sessions for the Académie de Créteil's language site (where I amused myself with singing things like Old MacDonald), and teachers freaking out about being inspected. With only about a month to go, I still have a lot I want these kids to learn.

A quick note on the strike. There have been several teacher strikes this year, but not all teachers went on strike and it never affected me. This one is different. It is so big and widespread that both of my schools closed. What's more is that it wasn't just for teacher unions, but for public service unions as well, meaning public transportation was affected too. From what I've learned, the strike is due to Sarkozy's reform plans, including teacher cuts and retirement reforms.

I recently talked to my American teacher friend Heather who said that her township is getting a lot of cuts now, but that if they were to strike, it would be much different than in France. The teachers would still have classes because, of course, it's not the kids' fault and they shouldn't be punished. Their striking would involve going home right after school lets out.

Closing schools for a strike still seems strange to me, but it makes me think of a Hey Arnold! episode I saw a lot time ago (of course I don't still watch cartoons...). The teachers went on strike and the school was closed. Arnold and the kids loved it, but then they found out that every day they missed they would have to make up in the summer. Something tells me the kids here won't have to go to school in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment