Saturday, January 30, 2010

Superheroes?

I wrote the following post a while ago now, and am just now finding time to post it. This time, English first et après la version française.

Last week, I listened to several stories on France Info. Among them was one titled “Haiti under American control.” This story really hit me because, before, I didn’t completely understand the extent of the earthquake. I knew that there were a massive amount of deaths, people left homeless, and an incredible amount of structural damage. Yet, I hadn’t thought about the effects on the government. When I saw the title “Haiti under American control,” I only thought about the organization of humanitarian aid. But, when the reporter interviewed a Haitian, he said that the government of Haiti was not competent. “We don’t have a government. Préval is no longer president…he doesn’t have control.” That really shocked me, but I think that I understand the gravity of the situation in Haiti a little better. The earthquake shook a lot, including the faith people have in the government, and it revealed weaknesses in the administration that was leading the country.

I’m not going to pretend that I know a lot about Haiti, because that’s not the case, not at all. But I want to add one other thing. The Haitian who was interviewed concluded by saying “I prefer that Haiti become a protectorate of the United States.” This made me think of something a teacher told me in October, when I started work. When I asked her if she has traveled to the United States, she said know, that the US wasn’t for her. Everything is too big. She prefers Europe. Then she said, “We see Americans as our saviors. Something goes wrong and the Americans come and save us.” I’m not sure exactly what she meant, or why she said it. Maybe she was referring to World War II? But, I think that when she said “our saviors” she was not only talking about France. I think that she was sincere, but I wonder if it’s a good thing if Americans are designated the saviors of the world (and it’s certain that not everyone thinks it). I think the US should help and support other countries, since our country has a unique opportunity to do so, and it’s a reason I can be proud of my country. On the other hand, I think it’s dangerous if people see Americans as superheroes or saviors. Perhaps it’s the most dangerous when it’s Americans who think it. With this unique power, it is absolutely imperative to stay humble and to not forget the importance of working side by side with the people we’re helping.

Version Française

La semaine dernière, j’ai écouté plusieurs reportages sur France Info. Un entre eux a été intitulé « Haïti sous contrôle américain. » Ce reportage m’a frappé parce que, avant, je n’ai pas compris l’étendue du séisme. Je savais qu’il y avait un énormément de morts, des nouveaux sans abris, et des dégâts. Pourtant, je n’ai pas pensé aux effets sur le gouvernement. Quand j’ai vu le titre « Haïti sous contrôle américain, » je n’ai pensé qu’à l’organisation de l’aide humanitaire. Mais, quand la correspondante a interrogé un Haïtien, il a dit que le gouvernement de Haïti n’est pas en capacité. « Nous n’avons pas de gouvernement. Préval n’est plus président…il n’a pas le contrôle. » Cela m’a vraiment étonné, mais je crois que je comprends la gravité de la situation en Haïti un peu mieux. Le séisme a secoué beaucoup, y compris la foi du peuple dans leur gouvernement, et il a révélé des faiblesses dans l’administration qui gérait le pays.

Je ne vais pas faire semblant que je sais beaucoup de l’Haïti, parce que ce n’est pas le cas, pas du tout. Mais je vais ajouter une autre chose. Le Haïtien interrogé a conclut en disant « Je préfère qu’on met l’Haïti sous le protectorat des Etats-Unis. » Cela m’a fait pensé à quelque chose qu’une enseignante m’a dit en octobre, quand j’ai commencé mon travail. Quand je lui ai demandé si elle a déjà voyagé aux Etats-Unis, elle a dit que non, les Etats-Unis n’est pas pour elle. Tout es trop grand. Elle préfère l’Europe. Puis, elle a dit, « On voit les Américains comme nos sauveurs. Quelque chose ne va pas et les Américains viennent nous sauver. » Je ne suis pas certain exactement ce qu’elle voulait dire, ou pourquoi elle l’a dit. Peut-être qu’elle parlait de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale ? Mais, je pense que quand elle a dit « nos sauveurs » elle ne parlait pas seulement de la France. Je crois qu’elle était sincère, mais je me demande si c’est bon si les Américains sont désignés les sauveurs du monde (et c’est sûr que tout le monde ne le pense pas). Je crois que c’est juste que les Etats-Unis aide et soutien d’autres pays, puisque notre pays a un pouvoir unique dans cette époque, et c’est une raison d’être fière de mon pays. De l’autre côté, je crois que c’est dangereux si on voit les Américains comme des super héros ou des sauveurs. Peut-être que c’est le plus dangereux quand c’est les Américains que le pensent. Avec le pouvoir unique, il faut absolument rester humble et de ne pas oublier l’importance de travailler avec les gens qu’on aide.

No comments:

Post a Comment